Sunday 29 May 2016

Print Surface Replacement

If you screw up a lot like I do, you're going to need some replacement print surfaces for your build plate. I got these from Digitmakers.ca this week and they will help a lot.

You may recall a few posts ago my extruder crashed into the build plate and started melting it.  So that's what the build plate sheets will be replacing.  At about $8 each, it's a fair deal since normally I wouldn't replace them. I bought 4 because I foresee more screw ups in the future.

To increase my output, I got some spare build plates also.  This will allow me to print some more stuff while I am cleaning and prepping the other build plate.  I have 2 extra or one for each machine.
 This is the build surface I am replacing .  This one got screwed up on Finder #1 when I was trying to make a batch of crates and barrels.  You can see the scars in circles and squares cut into it.
 The replacement build sheet has the 3M sticker backing.  The surface is exactly like the original and has that rough texture that is good for a few prints but not in the long run.
 First I had to remove the sticker off of the old plate.  This was done by prying up a corner and then peeling it off with a lot of force.  That thing is SUPER stuck on there!  There will be glue residue left over that we can remove later.
 Here's the old, wrecked build plate surface.
 And here's the build plate with the glass off.  To get rid of the glue residue on the glass I used this stuff from Home Depot called Goo Gone although I think my bottle looks different: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.tough-task-remover-spray-gel---12-ounce.1000685344.html

You can remove the glass plate by pushing back on the two tabs at the top of the build plate and popping the glass out.

Yay clean glass and build plate!

And with the new build surface installed.  I couldn't take a pic of me putting it on but basically you want to peel the entire 3M backing off and then lean the sheet from the top of the build plate and late it down as slow as you can while squeezing air out.  It will slap down if you're not careful.  Actually this happened to me and there was a tiny bubble trapped inside that I have to push downward.  It's probably still in there.  You can use something flat and heavy to try and push the bubble to the side or out.
Sometimes a fresh build plate surface works better than glue and blue painter's tape as you will see in a future post!

No comments:

Post a Comment