Sunday 15 May 2016

Owl Statue

Owl Statue
171min/12.04m/$0.91
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18218/#files

So I've been having troubles with birds building nests in the back porch roof and recently I had to evict a robin's freshly made nest twice.  I thought about building anti-bird spikes but then I remembered that most birds stay away from owls or predatory birds.

So I found this design on Thingiverse by Cushwa and it is an amazing model.

It is bigger than the Finder's 14cm printable box so you'll have to scale it down.  I went to 90% and it fit.
What's interesting to note is the discrepancy between what FlashPrint says something will take versus the actual time.  Flashprint said 171min.  Actual was 197.  That's about 15% more time than quoted.  I'll keep track of this and post how much it is always off but it is something I noticed before.


The print came out really well and I was quite pleased with it.  I used rafts and supports, plus played with Flashprint to make the inside hollow by setting the fill density to 0% as shown below.

There weren't any problems with it except maybe some little bits of singed filament on the insid e as it was printing.  The raft this time came off surprisingly easily as I have had much trouble with rafts in the past  I think it's because it was such a large object.

To make it a bit more menacing, I took a sharpie and colored in the eyes and outlined a few of the features like feathers, wings, and eyebrows.  I took some duct tape and secured it right next to where the nests were being made.  No lets see what happens!  If I remember I'll post an update here later on this year!








No comments:

Post a Comment