Saturday 21 May 2016

Bear Warrior - 28mm - Custom Supports

Bear Warrior of the Ironwood - scaled to 166.66% (28mm)
161min/10.44m/$0.79
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1077487

I realized I printed the last Bear Warrior too small for D&D.  I needed to scale it 166.66% for it to be 28mm.  Dutchmogul actually mentions this on a couple of his files.

So I scaled it up using FlashPrint's scale function and when I printed it, halfway through I got this mess below.


The support for the arm didn't hold.  It actually fell over.  I felt his could have been several things, but since my 18mm one didn't do this, I thought I'd try it again.


Looking at the mess, it's clear that when scaled up the support isn't holding from the weight.  It's ok at 18mm but when you get bigger, there's more material to hold and some things don't scale up well.
FlashPrint's support function is pretty good.  You can select two types of supports (but can't mix them).  Treelike will allow you to make angles and branches.  Linear just goes straight up.  I have only done treelike because I felt linear uses too much support material.  You can select either one from Supports Options.

You can start by clicking on the big A for Auto Supports.  Most of the time this works totally fine but since my right arm support wasn't working, I decided to add a bunch.

Here's what the autosupports look like.  You can see the big angle at the left in green that keeps falling off on my model.

 Adding supports is easy. Just click Add and then click the spot on the base you want to start and hold down the mouse button to extend it.  The support will be RED if it is not valid or GREEN if it works.

I went nuts and took no chances.  The last support is red just to show how you can extend it.

 With my new supports in, I now created the g code and the approximate time is 2 hours and 41 minutes which is longer because of the crazy supports I added.  This time to also not take chances, I added a raft.  I rarely add rafts because they sometimes stick too well to the base of things.

Result:  SUCCESS!
The axe hand came out really well and my supports worked great!

Minor Error:  I missed the support at the back of the model.  But despite this the model came out fine.

Everything chipped off fine.  Even the raft came off the base quite easily!

And here's the final process with my two mistakes and the good one!  So far 3D printing has been a very enjoyable learning process, but one where learning from your mistakes is highly rewarded!

No comments:

Post a Comment