Friday 3 June 2016

OpenForge Rowboats (fail and fix)

OpenForge Rowboats for D&D
Rowboat and 2 oars:
100min/6.49m/$0.49

I tried to make one set of medium sized rowboats with oars.  I didn't use a raft and naturally it came undone even on blue tape with glue.


So I added a raft, and it came out quite fine.

But I wanted a boat so that more characters could fit on it.  I uploaded the design into Tinkercad and then just scaled it to be bigger.  It was quite easy.  The limits of my Finder are 14cm x 14cm for the base so I made this reasonably big.

Realizing I would need a giant raft and I was worried that such a large flat print would lift and get ruined, I decided to re-orient the part so I could use supports instead of the huge raft.

It turned out really well even though some supports got screwed up!  Check out the dangling filament!
 And finally the true test is adding figures.  This one fits a party of 7.  Scaling is good stuff!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent Blog .... so having the FF Finders and now the Creator Pro, are you pleased with your upgrade. Do you consider it a progression from the Finder ? If you had to start again, would you just go with the Creator ? Regards from Blenheim, Ontario .... Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you! I do consider the Creator Pro to be a more complicated tool than my Finder but to be honest, I still use the Finder a lot. The Creator Pro is great if I want to go beyond PLA and have 2 colors or a bigger bed. But I still find myself going to the Finder for quick prints in PLA. If I had to start again and I could only have one printer, I'd get the Creator Pro simply on versatility, but with what I'm doing now, the Finder has been great for quick PLA prints, and portability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplicity and price point of the Finder is compelling. Appreciate your insight and looking forward to more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Finder enroute from Digimakers .... I'm looking forward to the new 3D adventure !

    ReplyDelete