Saturday 4 June 2016

Megaman X - fail and fix

Megaman X - 150% scaled up
503min/21.53m/$1.63

One of my students asked me to print this Megaman X figure.  It was small so I scaled it up so the details could show.  I also put the print quality to Fine so that the curves would come out nicer.

It took me 3 tries to get this right as demonstrated below.

1st try:  raft + supports, standard suppose from Flashrpint.  Failed because supports in both arms fell.
2nd try:  added custom supports to the Flashprint ones.  Left are OK, right arm fail as support broke.
3rd try:  went nuts with custom supports for the right arm.  SUCCESS!!!



The build time is pretty crazy.  Almost 10hrs!  This is easily the biggest print I've done.

Partway through I checked my 3rd print to see this and was relieved I finally got a good configuration to print.


4 comments:

  1. How do you get the rafts off. I printer a spool holder and I can't get any of the bed side raft to come loose. It's like its fuzzed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plyers and force is the only way. If it's still really bad, try changing your slicer to Cura or S3D.

      Delete
  2. Interesting that you've suggested Cura. I've always used the default slicer in Flashforge assuming that the settings are going to be generally dialled in better. Will Cura take a lot of learning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a lot but you just have to get used to things being in different places. I say go try it because it's free! I still like the Flashforge slicer though.

    ReplyDelete