Monday 23 January 2017

Creator Pro Update

So I got the Creator Pro on June 6th.
It is now January 23rd.  I don't have time to make a big post but I'll summarize how my personal experience has been.

Mods Done:

Spool Holders and Filament Guide:  definitely the first things to print off of Thingiverse so that you can use any size spools and get them fed properly.

Zebra Plate:  I was printing in ABS and it stuck too well to my build plate.  It was so hard to remove that it tore the build tak off with it.  I had to replace it but I thought it'd be good to get something removable and I found the Zebra plate stuff.  It worked ok but now I'm using it with build tak on it and glue stick with just PLA.  Haven't tried ABS yet.  Removing parts out of an enclosure really sucks and I miss my removable build plate from the Finder.

PTFE Tube Dead:  I should have known the PTFE tube was dead when I was changing filament from yellow to white and I kept getting yellow coloring in my prints for a while.  Too lazy to fix it, I just moved and focused on the right nozzle.

Double Extruders:  I wish I could say more positive things about it but I hardly ever use it.  I wanted to do more 2 material stuff but I haven't had much success with water soluble filament or HIPS.  It's on my to-do list but I definitely have not gotten value out of having 2 extruders.  I like the left extruder better because it has the fan blowing directly on the parts.

MicroSwiss All Hot End:  I got one to replace the left nozzle hot end.  Might as well since the PTFE tube is gone.  This is something I will do in the near future but I have bigger issues now.

Lubrication:  remember to lubricate your axles and drives.  I didn't do this for a long time which is probably I have the following issue:

X-axis Drive Issues:  Today on Jan 23rd my x-axis is messed up.  The machine just vibrates roughly for the x-axis.  Rebooting helped a little and then it went back to it's old ways.  Apparently this is a common problem that Makerbots had and it's one of my stepper motor wires that's screwed up.  I don't know which wire it is but I'm considering just swapping out the entire wire assembly for a quicker fix.  I wish I knew about this before I bought the Creator Pro.

Overall:
Given the cost and issues, I would have had better value buying another printer like a Prusa i3 MkII.  I just don't get good value from 2 nozzles and the issues I'm having now would have been better time and money invested into something that was better designed.  While the enclosure is a big plus, if I needed to have one then I'd look at doing just PLA on a Flashforge Guider or just getting something else that's enclosed and semi-portable.  But remember that my needs are different from others.  I have to bring my printers between locations and sometimes an enclosure helps people from not getting injured.  So I don't totally regret buying a Creator Pro, it has just been more annoying than all my other printers.

No comments:

Post a Comment